Friday, October 28, 2011

10 weeks of training for this......

If your reading this post now you are either a fellow blogger, a friend, a family member, or someone thinking about blogging......As fellow bloggers you know that I post about, things I eat, my exercise, the struggles I'm going through, and things that are going on in my life. You also know that as bloggers there are things that happen in our lives that we don't post about and this is something I haven't discussed until now.

As many of you all know, I'm running my VERY first half marathon this Sunday. The training has been fun but difficult at times. There have been times where I wonder what I have got myself into. Times when I wish that my damn credit card would have been declined and I didn't pay the entry fee. Times where I know that I have committed to this race, and I'm making it to the start line, and WILL make it across the finish because I'm running this race for this.....

On May 31st, 2011 Tom's sister (Marie), her 3 children, which are 7 year old triplets were in a tragic car accident. McKenna Grace Wethington-Padgett, Connor James Wethington-Padgett, and Chase Alexander Wethington-Padgett were all flown by Air-Vac to UK hospital. We got the call that morning as we were working outside and it seemed so unreal. How could this happen to these 3 beautiful children. Upon arrive at the hospital they declared McKenna deceased and both Connor and Chase in critical condition. It seemed as though everything should stop, time should stand still and revolve around these kids. Soon after, they declared Chase brain dead and after 2 additional days of testing and many different opinions Chase became an Organ Donor on June 2nd, 2011. Connor was still in for a fight. He has had multiple surgeries and was released 14 days later. Connor still has a long road to recovery. Not only has he lost his 2 siblings, he has other surgeries ahead of him to face.

I'm running this race for these kids, and Marie. They have touched mine and my kids life in so many ways for the short 4 years they were in our lives, and have touched many more hearts along the way.  No matter how bad I thought the 10 weeks were training for this, I would do it all again! 

Big Hit ½ Marathon, I'm ready for you......






The nice folks over at Family Fan Club made this terrific shirt that I'm going to be wearing Sunday. They were wonderful to work with. If you ever need something personalized this would be your go to place.







9 comments:

  1. Oh my word Christie! What a beautiful tribute to two beautiful children. What a heartbreaking story! I'm sure they will be with you as you journey the 13.1 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beyond sorry for the loss you have experienced. Those memories and the reason you are running will keep you strong the whole race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. first good luck this weekend, I hope you can truly enjoy what a great accomplishment it is. second I love that you are turning something so sad into something that can be uplifting and life affirming

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I just stumbled across your blog and i have to say good luck! That's awful what happened to those kids, i think it is great you are running in their memory <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful reason to run your race. I'm so sorry to hear about the kids though- I'll be keeping Connor in my thoughts and prayers. Rooting for you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crazy. Seriously I'm crying! This is such an awesome thing you are doing. I thought it was so amazing that you were doing a half marathon in the first place (my first one is going to be in May or June!) but now it's even more inspirational and amazing.

    You are such a sweet person and I'm sure your sister-in-law appreciates everything you are doing.

    Wish I could be there to cheer you on! You will do an AWESOME job on this race, I just know it!!!

    -Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss. Chase & McKenna will be with you every step you take tomorrow. They will help you fly to the finish line. Thoughts & prayers are with Tom's sister Marie & Conner.

    Have a great race tomorrow. I will be cheering you on from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. What a great story. I'm sorry for your loss but love how you are channeling your energy. My heart goes out to you.

    xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this brought tears to my eyes. I bet you ran an amazing race for those kids!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments....please leave me one!