Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Compulsive Disorder??

One of these days my compulsiveness is going to get me! I kind of hinted the other day here, that I might want to do a Triathlon. I also mentioned here that my workouts have been pretty much N-O-T-H-I-N-G since my half marathon training was done. I needed something, anything to keep me moving, keep me active, and I needed a training schedule or program of some kind to follow. So Saturday I got this email about the Buckheads Border Challenge Sprint and Olympic Triathlon coming to Louisville next July. They were having a Blitz sale and I could register for the Triathlon for $50.00 for the first 25 people. So yesterday morning after posting about my Non-Active week last week I was looking for something to get me going again. I went back to this email and registered!! The thing is, I have a problem with just jumping in, not thinking something all the way through, and just doing something. I thought what the hell, this isn't until July, I can do the Olympic Tri!! So that's what I've registered for. This has again got me thinking, what did I do?? Not only would this be my first Tri EVER, why wouldn't I just be happy with doing the Sprint Tri, why did I have to do the Olympic distance? Damn credit card didn't get declined (again)....why do they always accept these damn charges!! URGH!!!!!!

So my day has been spent looking online for Olympic Tri training programs. I can't find one that even speaks English to me. I mean, what's this: Swim – 5-10 x 100 @ 15”. Come on, I only know English, what the hell does this mean?!?!?!? I'm a pretty good swimmer, I mean if you throw me in the lake, I'm not going to drown, but I don't know what any of this means. I don't know how long 100 yards is in relation to swimming. I only know 100 yards in Football. I am going to need a lot of help with this training. I gotta figure something out though. I've already got this fee paid for (charged it) and I gotta do it. That is one thing I've never done is pay for a race or event and not show!!

So I need help from my lovely blogging buddies!! Please, does anyone have a ENGLISH Olympic Tri training program for me to follow? I'd love a FREE one, none of this $39.99 and you will have your best Triathlon experience bull. I just don't want to drown, wreck on my bike, or trip while I'm running, cross the finish line kinda race.

Oh, and don't forget to enter my Giveaway.....Not many entries so you have a great chance for a great giveaway. Come on people, you know you like free stuff!!


7 comments:

  1. I have found it hard to find a free tri training plan. My biggest piece of advice is to work on your swimming and work on open water swimming. Not drowning and swimming a continuous mile are very different. It is good to get to a pool with a known distance so you can judge how far you can swim without stopping. Then when the weather is warm in the spring, start doing open water swims. I am no expert but I can totally give you advice on gear and stuff. Just shoot me an email if you have any questions. I am really glad you are going to do one. Triathlons are my favorite races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are so alike! I always register for things without actually thinking about what the heck I'm doing. Like in January ... Friday 5K. Saturday 1/2 marathon. Sunday marathon relay. WHAT?? Why did I think I could do that??

    As for that crazy equation ... I always see that and call it algebra running (well, this would be algebra swimming). And it wasn't until one day I said how I had done some stuff at a track and a friend told me that it was [insert algebraic equation]. So unknowingly I did algebra running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh where to start....first off congrats on signing up for your first triathlon! It took me 3 triathlon seasons before doing an OLY. Thank goodness the entry fee for IMLOU wasn't on sale instead! I kid!

    Start off browsing through this website-

    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

    Find a place to swim & swim consistently, ie 2-3 days a week. Don't worry about the swim workouts yet. Just get used to being in the water. FYI - You will be swimming about 16 Football fields.

    The winter is a good time to work on your base fitness & CROSS TRAIN. Weights, Pilates, etc. The actual Olympic training plan will be about 8-12 weeks.

    It is not as easy to get a triathlon training plan as it is a running plan. I will probably recommend some books for you. Let me look through my stuff & I will message you with more info.

    There is a ton of triathlon info out there so try not to get overwhelmed.

    So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would try looking at some of the major bloggers that have done tris - they usually share their plans on their blog... Congrats on your new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christie! So exciting!!! Starting off is so exciting (scary). Books like "Your First Triathlon" Joel Friel, or "Slow Fat Triathlete" by Jayne Williams (even though you are not!) are good starting points and have alot of good info. I am excited to read about your journey.... I started tri-ing just a year ago, and managed to just finish my first Half-Ironman two weeks ago.. it's addicting!! :) Good luck and keep us updated! www.Facebook.com/SwimBikeMom and www.SwimBikeMom.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you swim at a pool? it's probably 25 yds long (ask them to be sure). down and back and down and back = 100.

    so you jumped in for an oly. wow. overachiever! best wishes!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking forward to reading about your training!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments....please leave me one!