Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Killer Workout

I mentioned in my post yesterday about the new workout for your Upper and Lower body from Oxygen's Oct and Nov issue.  Little did I know it was a killer.  I mean, this workout is obviously for someone, anyone, stronger than me!  Here's what I did today:

3 sets of each, reps varied
Upper Body:
Dumbbell incline press - 10 pound weights, 10 reps
Bent over row - 10 pound weights, 10 reps
Hyperextension - 12 reps
Arnold Press - 10 pound weights, 8 reps
Dumbbell hammer curl - 10 pound weights, 10 reps
Lying cross-body dumbbell extension - 10 pound weights, 10 reps
Medicine Ball Crunch - not sure weight of ball, 20 reps (15 then 5 pulsing)

Lower Body:
Dumbbell Squat - 10 pound weights, 10 reps
Leg extension - 50 pounds, 12 reps
Dumbbell front lunge - 10 pound weights, 10 reps
Lying hamstring curl - 40 pounds, 10 reps
Instead of doing the Fire hydrant, I did the leg machine where I sit down and do same exercise, but with weights.  I did 60 pounds, 15 reps
Seated calf raise - 45 pounds, 10 reps
Crunch - 15, 20, and 20 reps (switched those up)

I will add the pictures from the magazine so you can see what I'm talking about here, and how the workout works.  You pick one workout from each group (there are 3 in each group to pick from), groups a - e, you switch that workout up each time you do it.  So when you do 3 workouts a week, each one will be different. 
Upper Body



 Lower Body



 If anyone wants this in PDF form so it's bigger and you can print it off let me know, I don't might emailing it to you.


Other good news is, I talked with the coach of the High School's Swim team.  She is going to work with me and help me train for the Olympic Tri I'm registered for in July!!  I'm so excited to have someone that will help me out and knows what they are doing.  We meet tomorrow at 4:30 so I will keep you posted at let you know how the first workout goes. 

Any advice anyone can give me??  Any workout's you stick with??





9 comments:

  1. I am so excited for your tri! Yay for the swim instructor :) I think you should be my coach this workout (even though from a mag) is awesome.

    I didn't mean magazine workouts weren't good...just that I've never had the patience to actually go do one :) you rock~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do magazine workouts all the time before I started tri's. If you don't mind sending me the pdf I would appreciate it! I have lots of time now to strength training :-)

    BTW I have not forgotten to send you the books I have. I just have to find them first!

    Awesome on getting a swim coach! It really will help. Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really exciting that you are going to be doing a tri! Awesome on getting a swim coach:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited that the coach is willing to help you. You completely rock for putting up those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done a workout from a magazine, probably because I don't really get any magazines but I did ask for Runner's World for Christmas!

    Good luck with swimming, I'm a swimmer so let me know if you need any tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am so glad you have a swim coach! That will be huge in helping you get ready. I think the swimming is the toughest part but that is because I stink at swimming. I wouldn't mind having that workout in PDF form!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love their workouts. I don't do lower leg weights, but have seen a change in my upper body since i finally started lifting consistently..now the abs...they are just taking their time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Can't wait to read about your tri - I am considering doing one in spring but it's scary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you please send me the PDF for that workout. Thanks your story is inspiring this will be day one for me of my work out! :) you can send it to bwhitneyr88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments....please leave me one!