Saturday, November 5, 2011

My first time....

After my race last Sunday I took Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off.  By Thursday I was getting the itch again to do something, anything.  So I decided to take my first Spin Class.  The class started at 7pm so I timed it to be there 10 minutes early cause I didn't know what to expect.  Unfortunately heading there I got behind a guy driving these country road in the rain and dark ONLY 35 mph.  Seriously???  Get off the road dude!!!  So my 10 minutes early didn't happen.  I walked in Lindsey Wilson College at 7 on the dot and paid my class fee.  The sweet girl at the desk pointed me in the direction and I was on my way.  Then I arrive, nervous, not knowing what to expect and the lights were off!?!?!?  I went around to another door, no one in there either.  As I was wondering if I wasting my time driving over to this place, that I'm not a member of, that I paid an extra 10bucks to just get in, on top of the class fee, the instructor walked up.  So he proceeds to tell me, "I haven't had anyone show up for class for 2 months".  Uh, really now....great!  I walk in this room, with this young, college, cycle boy and I am the only one.  I was really starting to freak out.  Not only am I wondering if I can even make it through an hour of spin class, I don't want to be the only one he gets to look at. THANKFULLY a lady and her son, along with one of their family friends walked in and decided to take the class!  Thank you!!!! 

Here are my pros of the class:
My legs were burning
45 minutes of non stop cycling
burning calories
meeting some really sweet people

Here are my cons:
Did N-O-T like the music he played.  Uhhh, blues, jazz, that's not my idea of get pumped up music.  That's my idea put me to sleep or give me a drink music.
Didn't care for the fact that it was such a small class.  I was actually hoping to meet some more people and maybe find a running, biking, swimming partner!  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  I sense a girl that might want to Tri.

Me after spin class
Overall I would go back.  I know I got a work out, I know that I burned some calories.  That is more then I would of done at home!!!

What are your experiencing with Spin Class??

7 comments:

  1. OK 1) No one showed up?! That is crazy. I thought you were going to say that you were late so you didn't get a bike. I always try to get there like 30 minutes early to guarantee I get a bike. Some of our gyms 30 minutes isn't enough. You have to bet there right when they put out the sign up sheet an hour before the class. Crazy!

    2) Spinning is ALL about the instructor! They will make or break the class with their music, their routines, how they engage the class. If you have the chance, try out as many different instructors as you can.

    3) Yay for wanting to try a tri!

    4) Move to Lex so we can train together :-) HA! Seriously though, there is a great sprint tri in Lex that is an awesome for first timers. It is the Markey Race for Women’s Cancer. It is usually the end of June. 400m pool swim, 14 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.

    5) Check out Swim, Bike, Mom for a major funny on Spin Etiquette http://www.swimbikemom.com/2011/08/spinning-etiquette-part-deux.html

    I love to spin! For some big fun, after your next spin class jump on the treadmill for a short 10 minute run. Start training your legs to run off the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe nobody was there..but maybe it was the music!! Our spinning classes fill so fast you need to be there at least 20 min early for a bike. Stick to it! Spinning is such a great workout. I love it! I think you should totally do a tri. They are so much fun! I love just running races, but I love tri's even more! I agree with everything Andrea said. Go do a tri with her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY you did it!!!! spin class, legs burning and all. You're gonna love it :D You look so pretty in the photo - you have that healthy glow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so ambitious! Which is obviously a good thing but I don't think I could do half the things you do! Hope you're having a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!!! I'm actually s spin instructor and music is THE MOST IMPORTANT part. Jazz? Blues? BORING! You really have to shop for the right instructor. I have FULL classes and constantly get feedback from the attendees about how much they love my music. Wish you lived closer so you could come to one of mine!

    You should do a tri.....I'm addicted!

    xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to try a spin class. It's definitely on my to do list. I want to get in better shape first though. I can't believe no one was there. The classes at my gym are always packed. I'm actually a huge fan of jazz music, but I agree with you, I would NEVER EVER workout to it. What was he thinking lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa - this was the opposite of what I expected. I joined the YMCA in August and they all kept telling me that if I want to do a spin class to sign up ASAP and get there early because it fills up every single day and they run out of bikes!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments....please leave me one!