Monday, December 12, 2011

A new PR baby!!

Have to get right to it, I hit a new PR this weekend!!  YIPEE!  I ran the Reindeer Ramble 5K this Saturday morning and had a blast.  So let me go back a few days....

Friday night I was tired, kinda feeling blah, freezing, and wondering what in the world made me decide to do this 5K in 20degree weather.  I remembered, I was meeting up with two blogger friends for the first time and was super excited about that and even more excited because Coy had told me that she ran about the same time as me.....more on that later (Fibber)! I bravely crawled out of my warm bed Saturday morning @ 4:30am and was out the door by 5.  Before the race began I meet up with Coy and we went and meet Andrea together.  I didn't have any plans of trying to PR in this race.  One reason being, I don't like running in the cold.  It usually burns my lungs and my breathing sucks.  The second reason being, it was a hilly course and I've said many times, me and hills don't like each other. 

We lined up at the Start line and was one of the first to head off.  I felt like we were moving pretty fast but was feeling okay at first and went along with the others.  About 1 1/2 miles in I started feeling the burning and was loosing my pace.  Coy was able to keep her pace and kept trucking along.  I gulped down some water at mile 2 and that helped me some, around mile marker 3 they had us run a killer hill.  Then shortly after, the Finish!  I finished in 26:32 which is a PR for me!!  I was super excited and even more happy for Coy who finished with a speedy 25:19!!  She is obviously alot faster than me but I loved being able to start a race with someone and have people to hang out and talk with afterwards.  Here are some pics from the race:
Me and Coy just after the 5K

Me, some random guy with this ridiculous vest (which had tons of bling on it), and Coy

Coy, me, and Andrea (her husband placed top 3 in his age division)
Look, they got their dog to pull a sled!  How cute!!! :) This race was pet friendly to.

I had a super weekend and was glad that I decided to do this race. 

I also wanted to update you on my weight training, running, and swimming.  Here's what I did last week.

2 days of weight training (this was supposed to be 3 days but I will be able to make it up next week), 25 minutes of workout video, 3.2 miles running, and no swimming.  I'm going to have to wait until Alyssa doesn't go to Open Gym on Wednesday's or until her AAU is over before I can hit the pool.  Right now the only open day I have is Monday and I want to be able to commit more time in the pool than 1 day a week.  After this month I will be going more.  Today is day 20 since I started this weight training program.  I can't say that I see results yet, but I know it will pay off in the long run.  Hopefully by day 30 there will be some change or some inches lost for me to report!  Fingers crossed! 

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your PR, too!

    You are speedy, you need to come run in a race with me in New York!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy FAST! I'm so jealous. Awesome job though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go speedy pants!!! That's great! Have a great week with your weights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I do not know how you folks run in freezing 20 degrees cold weather! Living in Hawaii, I'm spoiled. Anything below 70 degrees I complain about it being too cold. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, you should come down to Hawaii one day and do the Honolulu Marathon! You can hit the beach after your run, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the PR! I remember a previous post saying you didn't expect one because of the temp and hills, so when I saw the title of this post I instantly got excited for you! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait till we get to run together again, or swim or just whatever! You're gonna be my half marathon guru :)!! I need to learn to be able to keep up with you! :) Congrats! You did great! A big PR too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the PR!! That is awesome! I am thinking I am going to start that weight program after I get back from Texas. I think my toe will be all better and I'll be able to do everything on it. So thanks again for sending it to me. It has been patiently waiting for me to be able to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a total blast! Congratulations on your PR. You are so dang fast!

    Love the dog/sled. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments....please leave me one!