Monday, September 22, 2014

Great Smoky Mountains Half Marathon

This weekend was the Great Smoky Mountains Half Marathon and it was amazing!  No, I didn't get a PR but I felt great about my time, how hard I pushed, and enjoyed my family and friends.

We headed down Friday morning to get to the race expo before we set up camp (that's right, we tented it) and our friends and family joined us. 
 
 
Saturday morning came early.  I felt like I didn't get any sleep but once the hubby and me arrived at the start line I felt ready and excited! It was a gorgeous morning, the weather was perfect and the course had some beautiful scenery.
 
During the run I felt great the entire time.  At mile marker 6 my time was at 54minutes which was looking like I may even get a PR on this hilly course.  Miles 9-12 were ALL hills it seemed like.  I had to walk up a few of them which slowed me down ALOT.  I tried to keep my pace fast while going down hills and the short distances where is was flatter.  They still slowed me down a lot.  I was able to meet the sweetest 11yr old girl who was running her 2nd Half Marathon.  We chatted during the run and even took pictures together after the race. 



My official time was 2:04:58 and I couldn't be happier with myself.  This course was a tough course (check out that 460ft hill climb), and the Finisher Medal is AHH-mazzzing.  I believe it is my best one yet!!  


After the Half Marathon all of use went out for breakfast, showered, and then headed to Cades Cove to look for wildlife and hike the Abrams Falls Trail.  This trail is 5 mile round trip and you make it up to a beautiful Waterfall. 
 
Now, to see if I can squeeze in Half Marathon #6 before the winter gets here!! 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a great time on such a challenging course! I love Gatlinburg. I'm in TN, but all the way on the other end of the state--just far enough away for it to be inconvenient for a getaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that stinks cause I love Gatlinburg. It's so beautiful!!

      Delete
  2. You did great, especially considering those hills!! I might need to run it next year for that sweet medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would recommend it. It was a great race, well organized, and the bling was awesome! :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome work! That course looks like it was a beastly beauty. And you even hiked afterward?! Get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, we hiked, I couldn't let my family down. We wanted to enjoy every minute that we had there.

      Delete
  4. WOW! Amazing job! Congrats on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that I've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share

    healthy weight loss & best skinny tea detox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
    healthy weight loss & best skinny tea detox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please keep sharing more and more information about this.This is a good information of the fashion licensing articles and really like your site.

    Yoga Instructor Course & Yoga Teacher Training

    ReplyDelete

  8. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    Yoga Teacher Training & Yoga Instructor Course

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments....please leave me one!